In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Briefs will be shared regularly through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Currently, they are released on Mondays and Thursdays.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
Michigan temporarily pausing use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine based on FDA and CDC guidance FDA and CDC are reviewing six cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot
Based on recommendations from Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is asking that all Michigan providers temporarily pause the administration of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) vaccine in Michigan.
This temporary recommendation is based on the identification of six reported U.S. cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot in individuals after receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. In these cases, a type of blood clot called cerebral venous sinus thrombosis was seen in combination with low levels of blood platelets (thrombocytopenia). These adverse reactions appear to be extremely rare, as more than 6.8 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine have been administered in the United States as of April 12, with nearly 200,000 of those doses administered in Michigan. Learn more at michigan.gov/coronavirus.
You can find a full list of places to find the vaccine in the Western U.P., and contact information for each of them, at coppercountrystrong.com/vaccine.
UPDATE FROM WESTERN U.P. HEALTH DEPARTMENT
UPDATED NUMBERS FOR APRIL 15
The previous update was Monday, April 12. All numbers below are in comparison to that update.
- TOTAL: 48 more positives, 13 more probable positives, 48 more recoveries, 0 deaths and 29.09% fully vaccinated (up from 26.35% -- meaning 1,510 more people)
- BARAGA COUNTY: 5 more positives and 27.42% fully vaccinated (up from 25.10%)
- GOGEBIC COUNTY: 7 more positives, 7 more recoveries, and 32.10% fully vaccinated (up from 27.31%)
- HOUGHTON COUNTY: 29 more positives, 13 more probable positives, 35 more recoveries, and 26.67% fully vaccinated (up from 24.44%)
- KEWEENAW COUNTY: 1 more positive, 3 more recoveries and 34.53% fully vaccinated (up from 33.54%)
- ONTONAGON COUNTY: 6 more positives, 3 more recoveries and 36.37% fully vaccinated (up from 34.23%)
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.