In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
Updates from Baraga County
- Today the Michigan National Guard delivered some much-needed personal protection equipment (PPE) to Baraga County. The PPE is a shipment from the Emergency Operations Center in Lansing and the Region 8 Health Care Coalition. The PPE will be distributed to the Baraga County Memorial Hospital, The Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Bayside Village and Bay Ambulance. The PPE will be delivered by the Baraga County Emergency Manager.
Updates from Gogebic County
- Officials received another shipment of personal protective equipment. They are now organizing and handing them out.
- Officials continue to attend meetings about the future of covid-19 and the eventual re-opening of the state.
Updates from Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center
- Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center (UGL) and the Western Upper Peninsula Health Department have coordinated efforts to provide a COVID-19 drive through test site in Houghton available to all community members currently exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms.
Anyone wishing to be screened for COVID-19 symptoms may call toll free number 844-947-4854. A representative will ask a few screening questions to determine if the caller is a candidate to receive a COVID-19 test from the convenience of their vehicle. Individuals who screen positive will be asked to provide some personal information, including their consent for treatment, to complete the pre-registration process. Once received, an appointment for the drive through test will be scheduled. Additionally, individuals will need to provide the color, make and model of their vehicle for identification purposes.
Drive through testing services are being provided by Upper Great Lakes Houghton Family Health Center. The drive through test site, located on Michigan Technological University’s campus at the Gates Tennis Center, will be open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. COVID-19 drive through test screenings and appointments are only available by phone. Individuals participating in drive through testing must present and remain in their vehicle during the appointment.
The COVID-19 test being used in this situation is a nasal cavity swab that only takes a few minutes to complete. Currently, test results are received within 4-6 days. However, this may vary as the volume of tests taken may significantly increase over the next few weeks. Drive through testing will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis initially serving 30 individuals per day. Adjustments may be made to accommodate more individuals daily pending public interest and the availability of supplies and equipment.
- For more information about Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center’s COVID-19 response, visit uglhealth.org.
Updates from Aspirus
- The Aspirus Ironwood Walk-in Clinic is open daily for your convenience. Clinic hours during the COVID-19 pandemic are Noon to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday and Sunday. The clinic is located at N10565 Grand View Lane in Ironwood, Michigan.
- Aspirus is starting to see more patients for all types of care including procedures, and primary and specialty care, that may have previously been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The health system is working closely with its physicians to safely increase in a controlled manner its volume of procedures and appointments. In doing so, Aspirus will closely monitor its use of important supplies and follow guidelines from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and public health agencies. Aspirus will be contacting patients who may have had previous appointments delayed due to COVID-19. Aspirus also encourages anyone with health concerns to call their doctors’ office to schedule an appointment. Appointments can be offered in person, over the phone or via videoconferencing where appropriate. Learn more about Aspirus and their response to the COVID-19 pandemic at aspirus.org.
- UP Health System-Portage announces in-house COVID-19 testing for patients, via TV6
- Drive-through testing site for COVID-19 now available in Houghton, via CBS 3
- Officers distribute face mask donations across county, via Ironwood Daily Globe
- Aspirus Expands Care Services, via Keweenaw Report
- SVdP food pantry ready to help, via L’Anse Sentinel
- Houghton continues COVID-19 response, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Local School Districts Give Updates, via Keweenaw Report
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.