In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
State of Michigan Updates
- In an effort to help stop the spread of COVID-19 as students return to Michigan college and university communities, the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO) will host a series of webinars for retail, bars, restaurants and other businesses in seven Michigan college towns. Read more here, https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/MIMSP/2020/08/07/file_attachments/1513769/JIC%20News%20Release%20314_State%20launches%20college%20town%20COVID-19%20Workplace%20Safety%20Program.pdf (PDF).
Updates from Western U.P. Health Department
- The Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (WUPHD) has identified the Pit Stop Bar & Grill, located at 120 S Sophie Street, Bessemer, MI, as a potential exposure site for COVID-19. Dates of possible exposure run July 31 through August 09.
The health department is advising people that exposure could have occurred at the site listed above or several days later with close contact to someone who visited the site. Depending on the length of exposure, you may be at higher risk for contacting COVID-19. Symptoms will typically appear within 2 to 14 days of exposure.
We ask that if you visited this site, or have had close contact with someone who visited this site, and have or develop symptoms such as cough, fever, shortness of breath, or a new loss of test or smell, that you call your healthcare provider and inform them of any potential exposure. For general information, call the WUPHD at (906) 482-7382, Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 4 PM.
- A pop-up test site is being hosted on Wednesday, August 12 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. central time at the Ironwood Public Safety garage in Ironwood. Testing is free and available to anyone. There is no pre-registration, insurance needed, prescription needed or doctor’s order needed. A photo ID is required. Visit Michigan.gov/CoronavirusTest to learn more about getting tested.
Below are number updates since the last reported numbers on Thursday, August 6.
- TOTAL: 22 more positive cases, two less probable cases, 20 more recoveries
- BARAGA COUNTY:
- GOGEBIC COUNTY: 13 more positive cases, one more probable case, nine more recoveries
- HOUGHTON COUNTY: One less probable case, 11 more recoveries
- KEWEENAW COUNTY:
- ONTONAGON COUNTY: Nine more positive cases, two less probable cases
- COVID-19 testing site coming to Ironwood, via CBS 3
- Tech gets update on COVID-19 lab, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Mobile food pantries coming to Copper Country this month, via TV 6
- UP experiences critical need for blood, via ABC 10
- COVID-19 testing available in Ironwood Wednesday, via TV 6
- COVID-19 fails to reduce Copper Harbor tourist numbers, via TV 6
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.