In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
- The Lac Vieux Desert Health Center is hosting a free COVID-19 testing event on Saturday, June 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. CST at the Northland Pines Elementary school in Eagle River, Wisconsin. No appointment is necessary. Testing is free and available to anyone with or without symptoms. Testing will take place on a first-come, first-serve basis. Learn more by following the Lac Vieux Desert Health Center on Facebook.
- The Lac Vieux Desert Health Center is hosting free COVID-19 testing events on Wednesday, June 18 from 3-6 p.m. CST and Thursday, June 18 from 9 a.m. to Noon CST. The testing will be at the LVD Health Center in Watersmeet. No appointment is necessary. Testing is free and available to anyone with or without symptoms. Testing will take place on a first-come, first-serve basis. Learn more by following the Lac Vieux Desert Health Center on Facebook.
- The Marquette County Health Department is hosting free drive-through COVID-19 testing on Saturday, June 13 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST and Sunday, June 14 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST. Testing is free of charge and available for anyone 18 years and older who wishes to be tested for COVID-19. No prior doctor visit is necessary. Participants must bring a driver's license or photo I.D. to register.
Updates from Western U.P. Health Department
- One new recovery for Gogebic County. Non-Michigan cases are no longer recovering in our jurisdiction.
Updates from Ontonagon County
- Donated cleansing packages from SC Johnson were distributed throughout Ontonagon.
- The Ontonagon County Courthouse will be opening to the public on Monday, June 15, 2020. People are asked to schedule appointments, wear a mask prior to entering the building and follow all COVID-19 safety guidelines. Most transactions can be accomplished through the mail and the public is encouraged to use that option.
- On Monday, June 15th, the Ontonagon County Sheriff Office will be opening the lobby for police business. Please call (906) 884-4901 for an appointment for any Sheriff Office functions prior to arriving. Masks will be mandatory for all entering. If you do not come with a mask, one will be provided. If you feel sick, please do not attempt to enter the Sheriff Office.
- U.P.'s Ontonagon County the only place in Michigan with zero COVID-19 cases, via Detroit Free Press
- Bessemer parks open again, Daily Globe
- Aspirus updates visitor guidelines, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Outdoor dining returning to Ontonagon, via Daily Mining Gazette
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.